Author Topic: Robert Reed - Sanctuary (2014)  (Read 1127 times)

ObiwanKenomi

• Administrator
  • See See The Sun
    • View Profile
Robert Reed - Sanctuary (2014)
« on: February 18, 2016, 08:22:37 PM »
On July 21st 2014, Robert Reed (Magenta, Kompendium) released his solo album called Sanctuary.

Quote:

Rob Reed was inspired to become a musician and composer at the age of seven after discovering Mike Oldfield’s Tubular Bells. So inspired was he by the album, that he learned to play not just one, but all the instruments featured on the album. Sanctuary is the fruition of a decision that Rob made in January 2013 to utilise his abilities as a multi-instrumentalist and create an album in the style of Tubular Bells. Rob Reed was determined to keep his vision of Sanctuary intact and play all the instruments himself. Reed was conscious that he was treading a fine line in preventing Sanctuary becoming a pastiche of Tubular Bells. The result is an astounding piece of emotional instrumental music in two parts, featuring an astonishingly orchestral sound whilst using a comparatively small amount of instruments.

Like mentioned earlier, the album contains two tracks being Sanctuary Part I (20.41) & Sanctuary Part II (18.09). Being an Oldfield fan from the early days, I was really sceptic before listening to this release. My musical taste matured in the 70´s by listening to albums like Hergest Ridge, Tubular Bells & Omnadawn, among others.

But I must say that I was pleasantly surprised after playing Sanctuary for the first time. The music is very recognizable and it sounds like a mixture of Hergest Ridge & Tubular Bells. Some critics will entitle Sanctuary as plagiarism, but I´m glad I purchased this recording. It brings back good memories of the mid 70´s and it sounds much better than Oldfield´s recent works.

If you check Robert´s website, you will find all the details on this release and you will also have the oppertunity to listen to some soundbites.

Regards,

Obiwan

Music was my first love and still an important part of my life.