Author Topic: Mandalaband - Biography  (Read 1155 times)

ObiwanKenomi

• Administrator
  • See See The Sun
    • View Profile
Mandalaband - Biography
« on: February 19, 2016, 06:02:30 AM »
Mandalaband was the brainchild of David Rohl, musician, composer, producer and now eminent Egyptologist. His was the guiding spirit behind the two albums which appeared on the Chrysalis label under the Mandalaband name in the latter years of the seventies.

The first selftitled album was released in 1975.

The main theme on the first album was "Om mani padme hum" and was inspired by a Tibetan national hymn and by the Tibetan people's brave resistance to the Chinese invasion and subsequent occupation of their country.
The music was composed by David Rohl and featured musicians like the members of Sad Cafe.

For info on this album take a look at:

http://www.progarchives.com/Progressive_rock_discography_CD.asp?cd_id=4920

The second album The Eye of Wendor: Prophesies was released in 1978.

The album was supposed to be the first album from a trilogy based around the theme of a fabulous gemstone with mystical properties.
The first part of the trilogy, The Eye Of Wendor: Prophecies, was act in a prehistoric world peopled by characters who would not be out of place in a Tolkien bestiary.

David Roh took out a large number of musicians to help him out on this project. He was joined by artists like: Justin Hayward (Moody Blues), 10cc, Barclay James Harvest, Maddy Prior, Paul Young (Sad Cafe).

The main characters on the album are played by: Justin Hayward, who sings the pail of King AEnord, ruler of Carthilias, Maddy Prior plays his daughter, Princess Ursula, and Eric Stewart is Florian, the young hero whom the prophecies tell will retrieve the Eye Of Wendor from the evil Witch Queen, Silesandre.

Graham Gouldman, Kevin Godley and Paul Young, describe Florian's adventures in his quest and the characters he meets, including Almar the alchemist in his laboratory, the primeval sea-serpent Elsethea and Damien, the old King's heir.

The vocalists were accompanied by a large number of musicians. For details check:

http://www.progarchives.com/Progressive_rock_discography_CD.asp?cd_id=4921

Unfortunatly the album wasn't a major succes, but when the years past it became a cult album, which every prog fan must have, otherwise his or her collection ain't complete.
The trilogy was never finished, which I think is a pitty.

The album was re-released on CD in 1992, with as bonus tracks the main parts from the first album.
The original album included an illustrated story sheet which has been omitted from the CD.

Greetings from Obiwan
Music was my first love and still an important part of my life.

ObiwanKenomi

• Administrator
  • See See The Sun
    • View Profile
Re: Mandalaband - Biography
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2016, 06:23:57 AM »
David Rohl left music in the 1980s to pursue his interest in Egyptology, but in 2009 he re-appeared in the music scene with a brand new Mandalaband album called BC – Ancestors

The Mandalaband consisted of a bunch of new memebers, but also some members from the 70´s project, like for instance Woolly Wolstenholme (BJH).
BC – Ancestors was a concept album, focussing on the pre-Christian era of ancient Egypt, Israel and Mesopotamia.

A year later a second album appeared called AD Sangreal. The concept of this album takes us to the first one thousand years of early Christianity as its theme – specifically the legend of the Holy Grail or Sangreal. Unfortunately Woolly Wolstenholme (keyboards and vocals) died during the last stages of recording AD - Sangreal.

Check http://legendrecords.co.uk/news/ for more details on both albums.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2016, 06:25:41 AM by ObiwanKenomi »
Music was my first love and still an important part of my life.