Author Topic: Pythagoras - Biography  (Read 787 times)

ObiwanKenomi

• Administrator
  • See See The Sun
    • View Profile
Pythagoras - Biography
« on: January 06, 2016, 03:13:15 PM »
A short Bio on Pythagoras, translated from http://nl.muziekencyclopedie.nl/action/entry/Pythagoras?name=Pythagoras&

The basis of Pythagoras was laid in the late seventies in a The Hague record store called Moonlight Records, which was owned by drummer / percussionist Bob de Jong. One of the regular customers is keyboardist Rene de Haan.
In 1980 they recorded a  synth-based album called "Journey To The Vast Unknown", which was  released in 1981 as a private release in an edition of 500 copies. The melodic synthesizer music, plus sequencer and Mellotron, is related to the early work of German keyboardist Klaus Schulze. Songs of the album are played on the radio which gives very enthusiastic response of listeners in the Netherlands and Belgium. The album was re-released a few times and eventually it sold at about 5000 copies.

The second and last album "After The Silence" has a more symphonic sound. On the album guests appearance, like for instance guitarist Arjen Lucassen (Ayreon) and keyboardist Michel Wassem (Plackband).

The 1983 single "So It Goes (Anne)" is a pop song with lyrics from the producers Bernard Oattes and Rob van Schaik. The duo worked on a third album around 1984, which included keyboardist Peter Courtens who deceased in the year 2000, but Pythagoras disbanded before the album was finished.

The recordings for the third album were finally released in 2011 on an album called "The Correlated ABC". Unfortunately Bob de Jong dies on December 7, 2011.

I actually have met Bob severall times, during visits to his recordshop  in the centre of The Hague. His wife or girlfriend (don't know if they ever got married) was in the same school and in the same class as I was.
Music was my first love and still an important part of my life.